Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Red Tape

We are novices compared to the Germans when it comes to red tape. Today (Wednesday, Feb. 29), I had to go to the Registration Office to fill out paper work that documents where Art and I are living. Every German and every visitor who is staying more than three months must tell the Government where they are living. So, after a 10” walk, I found the Registration office and took a number and waited in the lobby until my number appeared on the screen. It took about 15” for the clerk to fill out the forms, which included our names, passport numbers, birth dates, date of marriage, and address of our apartment. (When we move next month, have to do this again to register our new address.) The clerk gave me my registration papers, which are needed to get a bank account.

So, I took this paperwork to the bank and tried to get a bank account. None of the tellers spoke English; good thing Sabine Lobach, the grad assistant, came with me. She gave the bank clerk all the necessary information, and we made an appointment for the next day (Thursday), to complete the paperwork and pick up my bank card.

A bank account is absolutely essential here. I will get paid by automatic deposit from the University to my bank account. Our rent will get paid by automatic transfer of money from my account to the rental agency’s account. Apparently, Germans pay all these kinds of bills via bank transfers; the rest of their transactions are in cash. I have only been able to use a credit card once, and that was to buy a monthly tram ticket. Even the equivalent of Best Buy, which is Saturn, takes cash only.

So, on Thursday, I went back to the bank, assuming that I would be able to activate my account. Wrong! I cannot activate an account without my work visa. That appointment is next Tuesday at 11 a.m. sigh 
The Sparkasse bank ( pronounced Shpar-cas-a; however, Art uses the phonetic pronunciation, which is exactly what you think it is.)

So, I need another appointment with the bank on Tuesday afternoon (and a translator) to activate my bank account. Am hoping for the best!

The Germans are very fond of appointments. Each of these meetings has required an appointment. It even took two appointments to get my faculty card, plus a third appointment with another University official to sign my contract. 

However, the ultimate red tape disaster occurred on Saturday. On Friday, with the help of one of my colleagues, I ordered a USB stick that would allow us to connect to the Internet. I paid extra to have it delivered overnight, so we hung around the apartment waiting for it to be delivered. At noon, our doorbell rang and it was the DHL delivery guy with our stick. Yipppee!!! But, not so fast!!. First, he had to see my passport. Then, he had to see my registration papers. The first hurdle was the mismatch between the birthdate on my passport (day-month-year), which did not match the date in the registration papers (month-day-year). After we got that sorted out (he had to call his supervisor), we moved on to looking for a visa. Well, I don’t have a work visa yet. So, another call to his supervisor and ….guess what…he could not leave the stick with me until I have a work visa. (All this conversation was going on in a mixture of German, English, and French.) So, I now have to call DHL on Tuesday after I get my work visa, and they will redeliver on Wed., but only to me personally since I am the one with the work visa. Sigh

I have a feeling that this is not over yet! All of this reminds me of the Southwest Airlines red tape commercial, but there is no one here with the scissors to cut me loose.....


While I was waiting for DHL, the regular mail got delivered across the street by this mailman. 

No comments:

Post a Comment